Literacy Project – Focuses on improving reading levels for kindergarten through 3rd grade students by matching one on one with mentors.
Do you love to read? Do you want to see kids succeed in school? Join our efforts to improve literacy in your community. United Way is working with local schools to improve reading and comprehension skills for kindergarten through 3rd grade students reading below grade level. Volunteers work one on one with students to help them practice reading skills and gain confidence. Literacy programs are a WIN-WIN-WIN:
- Win for Students: Academic skill building and mentoring
- Win for Schools: Valuable support for teachers and principals; volunteer management and support
- Win for Adults: Meaningful opportunity to give back to the community
Current School Literacy Programs – call us about adding your school to this list.
- Hawthorne Elementary School in Keokuk
- Richardson Elementary School in Fort Madison
- Lincoln Elementary School in Fort Madison
- Central Lee Elementary School in Donnellson
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program – Provides FREE income tax assistance in the tri-county region.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax preparation for: low-to-moderate income families who make $59,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and individuals eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit.
United Way partners with the IRS and Iowa Center for Economic Success to offer this program to the community. United Way coordinates volunteers who certify as tax preparers through the IRS training program.
If want to help working families and seniors and like doing your taxes, come join our dynamic volunteer team. Training provided. Speak with a current VITA volunteer to learn more about the program.